Last Christmas we had new additions to the family, many of whom were vegetarians. So when faced with the daunting task of preparing a veg dish, I had to call on the expert – Executive Chef Conrad. Well he improvised a recipe on the go and it was delicious.
Here's the recipe:
1 kg Paneer (block)
- Cut the Paneer into two inch squares and roughly one finger thick. See that you have even number of pieces as you will need to create a sandwich of sorts.
- Now onto the paste that will come in between the Paneer blocks.
1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tbsp Chilli Powder
½ tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
Pinch of Salt
- In a bowl mix the above ingredients to a coarse paste. Add a little more ginger garlic paste if need be.
- Now smoothen this mixture between two blocks of paneer, like a sandwich.
- Keep aside while you work on the chutney.
1 bunch Mint leaves
½ bunch Coriander leaves
2-3 tbsp Curd
2 limes (only juice)
A little salt to balance the flavour
- Blend the above in a blender to a smooth paste. In case you are having trouble blending the mixture, add a little water.
- Now add the paneer sandwich blocks to this mixture and let it marinate for an hour.
- After an hour remove the paneer sandwich blocks and roll them in semolina (rava) coating them evenly. Place onto a hot pan and cook for about 5 mins on each side or until the semolina starts to darken.
- Place on a kitchen towel to drain out excess oil. Serve hot.
- You can use the chutney used for marinating, simply transfer it into a bowl.
And here's the Chef with his little girl supervising the prep.
Photos by Lovell Dsouza Photography